Water Maintenance and Service

Water Maintenance Service is responsible for maintenance of the drinking water distribution system.

The water distribution system consists of water main pipes leaving the filtration pant. This includes over 890 miles of water main, 6,000 valves and 8,000 fire hydrants, the services from the main to the curb and the service valves that control individual properties. Anything beyond this service valve, usually located in the right of way or close to the property line (with the exception of the water meter itself and its connection) is the responsibility of the owner.

Possible Causes of Rusty Water in City water main

  • Water main breaks
  • Fire fighting
  • Construction

Possible Causes of Rusty Water in customer premises

  • Bad plumbing (galvanized)
  • Bad water heater

Troubleshooting Rusty Water

Try running your water for 20 minutes. If it is still rusty, check with some of your neighbors to see if theirs is rusty also. If not, it could be your plumbing. Check to see if you have galvanized plumbing, this could be your problem.

If your water has not cleared up after running tap water for 20 minutes, or if your neighbors' water is rusty call 311.

Low Pressure

Possible Causes For Low Pressure in customer premises
  • Main valve at water meter off or partially off
  • Screens on faucets are plugged
  • Plumbing

Possible Causes for Low Pressure in City main

  • Major leaks
  • Major fire fighting
  • Maintenance
  • Construction

Troubleshooting Low Pressure

If the low pressure is at ALL the faucets throughout the house, check your main valve. This will be located next to your water meter, usually where your water service comes into the house. This valve is turned counter clockwise open.

If all your faucets have little or no pressure and your main valve is on, call 427-1247

If you only have pressure on a certain faucet there may be a separate valve under the sink that has been partially closed, or your screen on the end of your faucet may need to be cleaned or replaced. Sometimes the faucet itself may need repaired or replaced.


  • The City maintains the water line up to and including the service valve at the street.
  • This valve is usually located in the right of way, or within the area between the sidewalk and curb (parkstrip).
  • Any leak beyond this valve (commonly known as a curb stop) is up to the property owner to maintain.
  • If you think you have a leak, but are not certain on which side of the curb stop it is, call 311.
  • Leaking plumbing inside you home may result in an unusually high utility bill.  Use the High Utility Bill Investigation Checklist to track the reason for a high bill.
  • If you see water running in the street or a fire hydrant that has been hit, call 311.