November 1, 2021 - Director of Public Works Shan Gunawardena today joined Street Commissioner Brian Shimkus to kick off the first day of annual leaf collection in the City of Fort Wayne.
Beginning today, the Fort Wayne Street Department will collect leaves in the City’s more than 400 neighborhoods. This year’s leaf pick-up will run through December 16, but weather conditions or the volume of leaves in a particular area may cause the planned schedule to shift slightly. To keep residents informed of any changes in the schedule, leaf collection updates will be provided daily before 3:00 p.m. at cityoffortwayne.org/leaves. The daily updates will include what neighborhood the crews will be working in the following day. A collection map and guidelines for the process are also located on the web page. Additionally, residents have the option to call 260-427-2302 to hear recorded daily updates.
“We’re pleased to be able to provide our essential leaf collection services in the City of Fort Wayne again this year. Removing leaves doesn’t only make neighborhoods look nicer, it helps keep storm sewers clear and prevents street flooding,” said Mayor Tom Henry. “Thank you to the dedicated workforce in the Street Department, and the entire Public Works Division, for their year-round efforts to provide the quality of life services our community expects and needs.”
The 2022 Fort Wayne Leaf Pick-Up schedule
- North Neighborhoods, November 7 – November 11 & December 5 – December 9
- Central Neighborhoods, November 14 – November 18 & December 12 – December 16
- South Neighborhoods, October 31 – November 4 & November 28 – December 2
There will be no leaf collection on November 11 for Veterans Day or November 24 -25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Rake leaves to the park strip by 7:00 a.m. on the first day of the week when crews will be in your area.
- Don’t put leaves in your trash or recycling cart. This is against the law in the State of Indiana.
- Don’t burn leaves. It’s a violation of the City Code and can result in a fine.
- Don’t place leaves in the street.
- Don’t place leaves in storm drains.
WANT TO SCHEDULE YOUR PICK-UP? YOU CAN!
Just place your leaves in brown paper biodegradable leaf bags, set them at the curb, and call 311 to schedule a pick-up. The leaf bags will be collected within two business days of your call to 311.