October 31, 2022 - Director of Public Works Shan Gunawardena today joined Street Commissioner Brian Shimkus to kick off the first day of annual leaf collection in the City of Fort Wayne.
Beginning today, the Fort Wayne Street Department will collect leaves in the City’s more than 400 neighborhoods. This year’s leaf pick-up will run through December 16, but weather conditions or the volume of leaves in a particular area may cause the planned schedule to shift slightly. To keep residents informed of any changes in the schedule, leaf collection updates will be provided daily before 3:00 p.m. at cityoffortwayne.org/leaves. The daily updates will include what neighborhood the crews will be working in the following day. A collection map and guidelines for the process will also be located on the web page. Additionally, residents have the option to call 260-427-2603 to hear recorded daily updates.
The 2022 Fort Wayne Leaf Pick-Up schedule
- South Neighborhoods, October 31 – November 4 & November 28 – December 2
- North Neighborhoods, November 7 – November 11 & December 5 – December 9
- Central Neighborhoods, November 14 – November 18 & December 12 – December 16
There will be no leaf collection on November 11 for Veterans Day or November 24 -25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Residents are asked to rake leaves to the curb or park strip in front of their home, but not in the street. Leaves should be in the pick-up area by Monday at 7:00 a.m. on the collection week.
- Rake leaves to the park stripby 7:00 a.m. on the first day of the week when crews will be in your area.
Don’t put leaves in your trash or recycling cart.
- Don’t burn leaves. It’s a violation of the City Code and can result in a fine.
- Don’t place leaves in the street.
- Don’t place leaves in or over storm drains.
- Parents should remind children not to play in leaf piles near the street for safety and to assist motorists.
Those who would like the flexibility of having leaves collected at their convenience may use the biodegradable bag system. Residents with bagged leaves are asked to call 311 to schedule a pick-up. The bags need to be placed at the curb prior to calling 311. Bagged leaf collection will run through the end of 2022, weather permitting.
Last year, crews collected 24,600 leaf bags and hauled 4,924 truckloads of leaves.
In March 2023, the Street Department will announce two additional weeks for bagged leaf collection.