For Questions regarding Neighborhood Traffic Calming, traffic signals or traffic impacts, e-mail Traffic Engineering
Services offered by the Traffic Engineering Department:
|Accident Studies & Collision Diagrams||Amendments to City Traffic Code|
|Complaint Requests & Investigations||Emergency Detours & Street Closures|
|Pedestrian Studies||Planning & Design of Traffic Control|
|Review Buildng Permit Applications||Review Proposed Residential, Commercial & Industrial Access Permits|
|School Crossing & Safety Studies||Traffic Studies & Surveys (Obtaining factual data, analysis of data, recommendations)|
- To report traffic signs down OR traffic or pedestrian signals out at an intersection:
- Please call 311 or 260.427.8311 - OR - report here on-line.
Traffic Engineering works with various city departments, private contractors, construction contracts, developers and businesses on requests for closures or restrictions.
Full road closures are typically avoided unless work operations or safety is compromised. The city permits work on city streets, but work on roads such as Coliseum Blvd (SR 930), Lima Road (SR 3), Clinton & Lafayette (US 27), Illinois Rd (SR 14) are permitted by the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT).
In 2018, there were 1,400 closure/restriction permits approved for work on city streets. Below are links showing active projects or work within the city.
- View the interactive road closure map (TREC THE FORT) HERE.
- View the current road restrictions list HERE.
Traffic Calming is a program offered by the city to help residents work with the city on potentially making changes to residential streets to help slow or change traffic patterns.
Below are links outlining this program.
- General Information
- Traffic Calming Policy/Program including Petition Form *Oct 2021*
- Radar Speed Display and Traffic Data Collection
- Fort Wayne and FWCS Radar Speed Display Counter information can be found: https://streetsoncloud.com/public/City+of+Fort+Wayne
- Community Led Traffic Calming Demonstration / Tactical Urbanism Projects
- Painted Pavement Art Program
There are various maps useful to our department and the public specific to traffic within the city limits.
Below are links to useful information such as speed limits, classifications, and ADT.
- Bridges Map
- Posted Bridges
- Streets by Type Map
- Truck Route Map - With Bridge Weight Postings
- 2021 Average Daily Traffic Map (ADT) * Updated 5/5/22
Standards used by Traffic Engineering may be useful in your planning or understanding of traffic.
Below are links used by the department for guidance in design or construction of traffic facilities.
Title VII of the City Code outlines general traffic regulations such as operation, parking, and definitions.
Below are links which may help clarify some of these regulations within the city.
Go to Street Light Engineering page
- To report a street light or alley light out please call 427-8311 or 311
- Please provide the pole number located on the yellow verticle tag labeled Street Light, the address of the light and a contact name and number in case there is a problem with the light.
The Traffic Operations Division is responsible for the installation and maintenance of Street Lights, Signals, Signs, Pavement Markings, and City Communication lines within the city.
The City of Fort Wayne owns 299 traffic signals within the city limits, and additionally maintains approximately 100 traffic signals within Allen County.
- Banner Display
- Applications Subject to Review and Existing Banner Application Coordination
The MLK Bridge was completed in July of 2012.
The MLK Bridge not only serves a purpose as a beautiful memorial to Dr. King, but it also serves as a gateway entrance into downtown Fort Wayne.
The Division of Public Works will work with local residents on establishing Memorial Parkways. Memorial Parkways will be designated with signage along the route approved by the department.
- General Information
- Memorial Parkway Policy
- Memorial Parkway Application
- Memorial Parkway Reference Map
- Current Listing of Memorial Parkways *please notify department of any errors or omissions*
- Memorial Parkway Biographies - those who make our community great!
200 East Berry Street, Suite 210
Fort Wayne, IN 46802