- The primary mission of the Fort Wayne Street Department is to provide the City of Fort Wayne with a maintained and safe transportation system.
- We seek to render cost effective and competent service to the citizens of Fort Wayne, striving to be responsive to the citizen's requests and concerns and handle them in a timely manner.
- Major functions of the department include: snow removal, minor street resurfacing, leaf pick-up, street sweeping, mowing public right-of-ways, and overall street maintenance
- Barricade and Flasher Placement
- The Street Department places barricades as requested by citizens when they comply with the city's barricade, block party, or parade permits (permits can be obtained through the Right-of-Way department).
- We also provide/place barricades for other traffic related incidences where necessary. Some examples are: accidents, large holes in the roadway, high water, etc.
- Right-of-Way Mowing and Maintenance
- During our "summer" season (April - September) the Street Department has four mowing crews that mow designated areas, park strips, lots, etc. that are considered public right of ways. The city is divided into four (4) areas and each area has an assigned mowing crew.