Registration will go live at NOON on the first weekday of each month
2023 Read Dates
Mon, January 23
Mon, February 27
Mon, March 27 - SOLD OUT! Waitlist available.
Mon, April 24
Mon, May 22
NO DATES IN JUNE/JULY
Mon, August 28
Mon, September 25
Mon, October 23
Mon, November 27
Mon, December 18
This exciting opportunity allows children ages 5-12 to read to cats and small animals like rabbits and guinea pigs waiting on their forever homes. We provide this program as a partnership with Literacy for Companionship Inc. It is a local non-profit that aims to bring children and pets together through the joy of reading. FWACC's Humane Education Department's mission is to teach children empathy and kindness through animals, so the partnership is a perfect addition to our line up of existing programs.
Children can bring their own books or pick from our collection of Humane Education approved books!
- Each child must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who stays at the shelter during their reading session
- Each child can be registered for one 30 minute time slot per session
- Readers must be registered to attend (siblings that aren't registered may not join)
- Each reading session is limited to 4 readers to ensure each child has a great experience
- The program is FREE!
- Children must be 5-12 years old to participate